NICONICO RENT A CAR > Driving In Japan > International Driving Permit – Japan

International Driving Permit – Japan

Guide to obtaining an International Driving Permit for your trip to Japan

What is an International Driving Permit?

An International Driving Permit, or IDP for short, is a document that allows holders to drive in any country that is a signatory of the Geneva Convention of 1949.
IDPs must be issued in the same country that issued your original driver’s license.

How do I obtain an IDP?

You must obtain your IDP within your country of origin. Applications from overseas are generally not accepted.
Every country designates its own companies or government offices to officially issue IDPs. See list below for official issuers.
There is usually a permit fee that must be payed to receive an IDP. This will go for around $20.00 (USD)
A photocopy of both sides of your original Driver’s License is usually required with the application
Two passport photos (signed on the back) may also be required
Applications can be handled in person at the designated offices. Some countries may offer mail-in applications as well
IDPs may not be issued over 6 months in advance of planned use

Designated Issuers:

USA: ($20.00 USD + Postage)
American Automobile Association (AAA)
American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA)

Australia: ($39.00 AUD + Postage, Issuer depends on state)
New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory: NRMA Motoring and Services
Queensland: RACQ Ltd.(Royal Automobile Club of Queensland Limited)
Victoria: RACV (Royal Automobile Club of Victoria)
South Australia: RAA (Royal Automobile Association of South Australia, Inc)
Western Australia: RAC (Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia Incorporated)
Tasmania: RACT (Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania Limited)
Northern Territory: AANT (Automobile Association of Northern Territory Inc)

Canada: ($25.00 CDN + Postage)
Canada Automobile Association

Hong Kong: ($80.00 HKD)
Complete a TD51 form and bring 2 recent photos + the license fee to any driver’s licensing center.

Singapore: ($20.00 SGD)
Automobile Association of Singapore

S. Korea: (8500 KRW)
All regional driver’s license examination offices

For other countries, please check with your local Government office, or Automobile Association for more information on how you can obtain an IDP

Countries that only require translation and original license:

The countries listed below only require a legal Japanese translation, provided by JAF, your valid passport, and your original driver’s license.

  • Switzerland
  • Germany
  • France
  • Belgium
  • Estonia
  • Monaco
  • Taiwan

8 thoughts on “International Driving Permit – Japan

  1. I was attempting to sign up on your site, and saw this message: 国際運転免許証でのお貸出は出来ません
    This seems to say that I’m unable to use the international driving permit. Am I misunderstanding something?
    Thank you!

    1. Hello Anton,

      I apologize about the confusion.

      We have seven shops that accept the IDP.
      New Chitose Airport
      Narita Airport
      Haneda Airport
      Shin Yokohama Station
      Fukuoka Airport
      Kagoshima Airport
      Nagasaki Airport

      You can book through our International reservation page at is the Japanese franchise website, which currently does not yet have IDP support.

      Thank you for your understanding, and please let me know if you have any more questions!

    1. Hello Stephanie,

      Thank you for the comment.

      Unfortunately due to legalities, we are unable to accept copies of licenses. We can only accept the official International Driving Permit.

      Thank you very much for your understanding.

      Please let us know if you have any other questions.

  2. Dear Ladies and gentlemen,

    I am planning a ski trip with my clients in January to Chitose, Hokkaido. We will be probably 6 or 7 people. I have the B Driver Stamp. Which car can you offer us with all our luggages plus the ski bags? Thank you so much in advance. Thomas

    1. Dear Tom,

      Thank you for the comment.

      With 6-7 people I would recommend the V Class, which is our largest vehicle we offer (8 Passengers).

      If all passengers will be carrying large luggage, you may want to consider renting two separate vehicles to ensure you have enough space.

      Please let us know if you have any more questions 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *