Is it possible for pets to ride along?

When traveling with pets, please be aware of the following restrictions and precautions: 1.Only dogs and cats are allowed. 2.Pets must be kept in a cage and should not come into direct contact with the vehicle. 3.Please prepare the cage yourself. Please note that some stores do not accommodate pets, so be sure to check directly with the store you plan to use. If you do not contact us in advance, we may refuse service. If there is any damage or lingering odor after use, and repairs or deodorization are necessary, a separate fee of 20,000 yen will be charged as compensation for business interruption. Thank you for your understanding.

How do I make changes to my reservation?

First cancel your current reservation, and then make a new one.

Is there a young driver fee?

There is no young driver fee.

Will there be extra charge for distance traveled


Can I pay by cash

Sorry. We do not accept cash payments. Please pay with a credit card.

Can I split a payment with multiple credit cards

Sorry, this site currently only accepts a single credit card for payment

Can I pay by credit card

We only accept credit card payments.

When am I charged for a reservation?

1. You can choose to pay in full by credit card on this website. 2. Or pay deposit (20% of total price) by credit card on this website, and pay the remaining 80% at our shop.

How to choose the right car type?

Please refer to the recommendations on the "Vehicle & Rate" page

Can I rent a specific car model or color?

Our customers can,t choose specific car model while reservation. Instead, we provide 9 vehicles types , and cars in every type have similar size and seat numbers. You can check our Vehicle type page for more detail information.

How to make change to reservation ?

Our site does not provide reservation change function. If you want to change vehicle type, time of pick-up and return, or picks-up /return shop, please cancel reservation and make a new one.

Do I need to register as a member when booking on NICONICO website?

No, our consumers can make reservation without membership, or log-in procedure.

Are one-way rentals possible?

Yes. There are one-way options available for the Narita Airport, Haneda Airport, Fukuoka Airport, Kagoshima Airport, Nagasaki Airport, and Shin-Yokohama Station locations.

Are there any cancellation fees?

There are no fees for cancellations made at least 48 hours in advance. Cancellations made less than 48 hours in advance will be charged a 20% cancellation fee.

Will a driver be provided with my rental?

No. NICONICO Rent a Car offers car rental services for self-driving only. You must provide your own legal driver.

Can we rent a car if we cannot speak Japanese?

Yes you can! Multilingual guides and contracts are provided. All cars also come with Multilingual Navigation Systems (EN/CN/KR/JP).


What are the procedures when pick-up?

1. Checking your local driver’s license, IDP and passport; 2. Signing rental and insurance contracts ; 3. Car check with staff.

How do I find my shuttle pick up area?

You can find the directions to the shuttle pick-up location at the bottom of your confirmation email. You can also find the different pick-up locations on the location pages.

Driver's License

Is there an age limit to renting cars?

No. As long as you have a valid driver's license you can rent.

How long are International Driving Permits valid for?

International Driving Permits are valid for 1 year.

How do I acquire an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

Every country has its own designated organization(s) where you can apply for an IDP. Please see this helpful guide to see where you can get your IDP: International Driving Permit Guide

Can I rent a car if I forgot my driver’s license?

No. Without a valid driver's license present at the time of the reservation, the staff is not legally allowed to lend you a rental vehicle.

Can I rent a car if I have an international driving permit?

Yes. Please be sure that your International Driving Permit is valid under the Geneva Convention of 1949. Beware of buying fake IDPs. All invalid IDPs will not be accepted.


How much do I have to pay if I get into an accident?

You may be required to pay a maximum cost of 100,000JPY. This can be waived with the Safety Plan. See Here for details on the Safety Plan and costs borne by the customer.

Expressway Passes

Is the Hokkaido Expressway Pass (HEP) available for rent?

Yes. The Hokkaido Expressway Pass can be added to rentals from the New Chitose Airport location. For more information on the HEP see this page: Hokkaido Expressway Pass


Do you have GPS in car ?

Yes. every car you book on this site is equipped with GPS that has EN/CHI/KR/JP mode and It,s free service.

Can I reserve child safety seat on this site?

Yes, this site provides rental services for infant/child safety seats.

Can I book a car equipped with an ETC card machine on this website?

All of our cars are equipped with ETC card machines. And if you want to use ETC card, you can rent it on this site as well.

Are snow tires available for rent?

Yes. Rentals made at New Chitose airport include studless snow tires free of charge between the first day of November and the last day of March. Narita, Haneda, and Fukuoka Airport locations may add snow tires for a fee.

Do children have to use a child safety seat?

According to the Japanese Road Traffic Law, the driver is required to have children under the age of 6 use a child safety seat when riding in a vehicle.

Can I reserve a GPS navigation system?

All Passenger cars and minivans are equipped with GPS navigation systems as a standard feature and are provided free of charge. Languages in English/Japanese/Chinese/Korean

Still have a question? Feel free to Contact Us!