Hokkaido Expressway Pass Guide
Guide to renting and using the Hokkaido Expressway Pass in Japan
What is the Hokkaido Expressway Pass?
- The Hokkaido Expressway Pass (HEP) allows you to enjoy unlimited use of Hokkaido's Expressways on a flat=rate scale
- Japanese is not required! The HEP allows you to drive through the ETC Toll gates without talking to the toll collectors, unlike the regular toll gates
- The HEP is rented with an Electronic Toll Collection card (ETC Card)
How do I get a HEP?
- If you are renting from the New Chitose Airport location, you can add the HEP to your rental during the online reservation process. You can do this on step 3 'Choose Extras.'
- If you have already made a vehicle reservation without requesting an HEP, no worries! Just ask for the HEP at the counter when you pick up your car.
- Available only at the New Chitose location
- Hokkaido Expressway Pass may only be used by customers with foreign nationalities (non-Japanese)
- A non-Japanese passport must be shown in order to rent the pass
How Do I Use the HEP?
- The HEP is connected to your ETC Card (which is rented with the HEP)
- Before you depart, our staff will ensure that the ETC Card is correctly inserted into the ETC Card Reader
- When approaching a tolled road, you will see several gates. Do not be overwhelmed, just simply drive through the gates labeled with the large letters 'ETC.' Slow down as you pass through the gate, so that the card is properly read, and so that you don't hit the gate arm. Your ETC Card reader will notify you that the toll was payed, and the gate arm will automatically raise. Continue to drive through, and you are done!
For more information please see: