ETC Card Rental
Guide to using ETC Cards in Japan
What is an ETC Card?
- ETC stands for ‘Electronic Toll Collection’
- It is a card used to pay road tolls effortlessly
- Insert it into the ETC card reader that is installed in the rental car
- When entering a tolled road, pass through the ETC gate and your toll will be payed wirelessly as you pass through the gate
How do I rent an ETC Card?
- You can rent an ETC card during the online reservation process
- If you have already made a vehicle reservation without requesting an ETC card, no worries! Just ask for an ETC Card at the counter when you pick up your car.
- Available for rent at all locations
How Do I Use an ETC Card?
- Before you depart, our staff will ensure that the ETC Card is correctly inserted into the ETC Card Reader
- When approaching a tolled road, you will see several gates. Do not be overwhelmed, just simply drive through the gates labeled with the large letters 'ETC.' Slow down as you pass through the gate, so that the card is properly read, and so that you don't hit the gate arm. Your ETC Card reader will notify you that the toll was payed, and the gate arm will automatically raise. Continue to drive through, and you are done!
The ETC Card rate is ¥324. This will be added to your total rental price. After you have completed your trip and have returned your vehicle, the shop staff will check the accrued toll charges on the ETC card and bill you that amount. Please have cash prepared for the accrued tolls.
For more information please see: